Would Jack Shephard really have been so weepy and emotionally distressed if he would have had a decent meal? The island on LOST had to have had some critters running around. This would make enough for those who survived the crash and weren’t taken in the night.
Yup, that’s the twist being taken this week. Might not be a great tie-in, but this was one heck-of-a delicious recipe. Bacon always makes everything better. It was either this, or make references to the father & son acting legacies, William and Mark Sheppard (and work with aged and fresh ingredients).
2 – 2.6L casserole dishes
1 – skillet
1 – large pan
1 – large bowl
Various heat resistant stirring utensils
2 pounds ground beef
8 strips of thick cut bacon
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 packets of the McCormick Brown Gravy powder
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
The Potatoes (Loaded)
Mashed Potatoes cooked to a standard recipe (probably about 8 large potatoes worth)
1/2 cup chopped chives
1 1/2 cup grated Aged Cheddar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees F.
2. Meat in a skillet: Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook until crispy. Do not drain. Remove 1/3 of the bacon from the pan and set aside. Add the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce. Brown the beef at a medium temperature, salt and pepper to taste. Once the ground beef is cooked, add the 1 1/2 cups water and the 2 McCormick Gravy packets, simmer on medium-low.
3. Veggies in a large pan: Add the Olive Oil to the pan, and let warm up on a medium-low setting. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Add the 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally. Once the onions start to become translucent, add in the frozen peas. Let the veggies sweat for about 5 more minutes.
4. Potatoes in a large bowl: Mash the equivalent of the 8 large potatoes in a large bowl for a standard mashed potato recipe. Add in 1 cup of Aged Cheddar and chives. Stir until well combined. If the cheese doesn’t melt completely, don’t worry, it will melt in the oven.
5. Add a layer of veggies at the bottom of the casserole dishes.
6. Add a layer of the meats on top of the veggies. Stir slightly to combine in the casserole dishes.
7. Top with a layer of the loaded mashed potatoes. Add in remaining 1/2 cup of Ages Cheddar on top.
8. Pop into the oven on the middle rack at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes. This should be enough time for the juices to start bubbling up.
9. Remove and let cool. Share and enjoy!