St. Patrick’s Day is near, when the world unites in all things Irish. Sure, the story of St. Patrick is littered with miraculous imagery to possibly cover over a gruesome part of old Ireland’s earthen history. BUT, the way people today share, cook, and toast to one another’s health, wealth, and happiness has added a new spirit to the day.
Here are some Geeky Irish Blessings created for you. Enjoy! Hopefully, there will be time to come up with some more.
Pond Life is the new 5 part mini-adventure, with a new part every day, featuring the Doctor, Amy, Rory and some surprise familiar faces! En route to visit the Ponds the TARDIS’ Helmic Regulator malfunctions, leaving the Doctor popping up everywhere in time and space. Will he ever make it back to them?
Watch Asylum of the Daleks, the new Doctor Who adventure, on BBC One on Saturday 01 September at 7.20pm, and on:
BBC America on Saturday 01 September at 9pm ET
Space (Canada) on Saturday 01 September at 9pm ET
ABC1 (Australia) — Coming Soon
Prime (New Zealand) — Coming Soon
***Be sure to check back here for a list of all the adventures as they are released!***
International Talk Like William Shatner Day
(AKA Talk. Like. William. Shatner. Day.)
This year, ITLWS Day falls on Thursday, March 22. Thanks to Maurice LaMarche, voice actor extraordinaire, it’s official. Check out Maurice’s video below for a crash course in talking like Shat. There is a rule to this day, however. If March 22 falls on a weekend day, the holiday is automatically bumped to the following Monday for more social interaction.
Aside from that, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Mr. Shatner. The world-wide-interweb is alight with glowing reviews for your recent endeavor, “Shatner’s World”, and you are, very apparently, alive and kicking.
Here are some fun Shatner quotes and lines for you to spend the day practicing on friends, family, and strangers alike.
- “I am not a Starfleet commander, or T.J. Hooker. I don’t live on Starship NCC-1701, or own a phaser. And I don’t know anybody named Bones, Sulu, or Spock. And no, I’ve never had green alien sex, though I’m sure it would be quite an evening. I speak English and French, not Klingon! I drink Labatt’s, not Romulan ale! And when someone says to me ‘Live long and prosper’, I seriously mean it when I say, ‘Get a life’. My doctor’s name is not McCoy, it’s Ginsberg. And tribbles were puppets, not real animals. PUPPETS! And when I speak, I never, ever talk like every. Word. Is. Its. Own. Sentence. I live in California, but I was raised in Montreal. And yes, I’ve gone where no man has gone before, but I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission! My name is William Shatner, and I am Canadian!” IMDB Shatner Quotes
- “I’m not going to have a tombstone. I’m going to be tossed in the air. Ashes, tossed like a salad.” IMDB Shatner Quotes
- “Captain Kirk never burped out his lines, nor did he simply SPEAK! as IF! Every! Other! SYLlable! WAS! of DIRE! ImPORTance!” Think Exist Quotes
- “We were basically one and the same, although Jim was just about perfect, and, of course, I am perfect.” Think Exist Quotes
- “If you make a fool of yourself, you can do it with dignity, without taking your pants down. And if you do take your pants down, you can still do it with dignity.” Brainy Quotes
- “There are certain things men must do to remain men.” 10 Ten Kirk Quotes
- “Let’s roll, Junior!” IMDB TJ Hooker Quote
- “I have an erection. That’s a good sign. I’m ready to go to trial. Lock and load.” IMDB Boston Legal Quotes
- “I don’t know whether you know this but not many men take the time, every day, to have a cigar, glass of scotch, to talk to their best friend. That’s not something most men have.” IMDB Boston Legal Quotes
- “The only thing to be scared of son is tomorrow. I don’t live for tomorrow. Never saw the fun in it.” IMDB Boston Legal Quotes
- “It was a horrible flight! There was a man on the wing of the plane!” 3rd Rock From The Sun, Big Giant Head Quote
- “The yelling will cease or the killing will commence!” 3rd Rock From The Sun, Big Giant Head Quote
Little Amelia Pond, not scared of anything. Box falls out of the sky, man falls out of the box, man eats fish custard. Brave Amelia Pond, with one hell of a scary crack in her wall. Amelia hated apples, until her mum carved a face into one. With her mum and dad gone, little more than a memory, Amelia Pond is pretty much on her own.
When those apples started to turn, what did Amelia or her aunt do with them? Seems a shame to waste a perfectly friendly apple.
Here’s a recipe that both adults and kids can enjoy. Don’t worry, the alcohol in the rum burns off when making the glaze, leaving a delicious sweetness.
The Saucey Glaze:
• 1 cup dark brown sugar
• 1 cup Vanilla Rum (used Whaler’s brand)
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• Small pinch of ground ginger
• 12 small to medium apples, washed, cored, and carved with smiley faces (used Honeycrisp because of the sweetness)
• 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
• 1 ½ cups unsweetened apple cider
For the glaze: In a medium saucepan, combine the dark brown sugar, rum, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and that small pinch of ginger. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to allow the sugar and other ingredients to blend together (sugar dissolved) and thicken slightly.
For the apples: Preheat the oven to 375F.
Line, with foil, a baking dish that is large enough to hold all of the apples. Arrange the apples in a single layer. Pour the glaze over the apples and top each with pieces of butter. Add the cider to the bottom of the dish and place it in the center of the oven.
Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes until desires tenderness. Remove and let cool.
Delicious with ice cream, whipped cream, or even custard.
“Luke! Luke! Come inside and have some blue milk.” The obvious was pointed out in Seth MacFarlane’s “Blue Harvest”, and we all laughed. Star Wars broke through so many creative barriers, even thought went into what type and color the milk would be. While Bantha Milk isn’t native to Earth, you can still have fun making a tasty treat an using your ***imaaaagination***.
The basic idea would be to use blue food coloring in regular milk (2 drops per roughly 1 cup of milk turned a decent result). There’s a recipe out in the cyber world that calls for Soy Milk and Blue Powder Punch mix, however, the local corner ethnic store didn’t have a wild collection of Kool-Aid, let alone blue punch mix.
The Soy Milk added an interesting nutty taste, however, it didn’t go great with the fruitiness. The regular milk provided more of a Berry-creamsicle flavor.
With summer rapidly approaching, here’s a new spin on the Blue Milk idea. It is a chilled, tasty treat for those hot Tatooine-esque summer days.
Blue Milk Popsicles
2 Cups Cold Milk
3 Tablespoons Blue Jell-O
Mix the milk and Jell-O together in a bowl with a whisk. DO NOT HEAT. Make sure well combined. Pour into the popsicle molds and chill until solid. Remove and enjoy!
***If you’re a fan of the blue milk mustache, you can drink this cold, in a non-frozen version. The Jell-O will set slightly to give a thicker, milkshake-esque texture, and is just as tasty.
“Put a ring on it”… righty-o, okay, where!?
Captain Jack Harness (AKA John Barrowman in real life) entertains with 43 seconds of energetic knee-popping, hip-shaking, foot-stomping action.
Happy Holidays, everyone! Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, Festivus, Wintermas, or ‘other’, may you have the best ever, and awesomesauce wishes for the New Year!
Curl up in front of the portable heater, and enjoy the following video.
Night Before Christmas